The Hardy Amies fashion house was founded in 1945. That was when Sir Hardy Amies, with some financial help from Hollywood film star and the first Mrs. Cary Grant, Virginia, the Countess of Jersey, moved into No. 14 Savile Row. The building was a bombed-out shell, but Hardy Amies funded its renovation and turned it into a clothing emporium. In 1945, Sir Hardy Amies was a well-known designer of women’s haute couture, so his move into the home of men’s bespoke tailoring was a bold one. Today, Hardy Amies London Limited is a fashion house that specialises in modern luxury menswear, it’s also possibly one of the best-known names of Savile Row.